Fat transfer, also known as fat grafting or fat injection is a procedure which transfers fat from areas with excess fat, such as the outer thighs, and injects it into areas which may lack volume in your face. If you are interested in finding out if you are a good candidate for this procedure, contact the friendly professionals at Kaniff Cosmetic Medical Center in Sacramento to learn more.
What Is A Fat Transfer?
A fat transfer is a well-tolerated, long-lasting, safe procedure producing natural-looking results and leaving thousands of people each year pleased with the results of the successful grafting. Fat grafting occurs in a three-stage process which may need to occur several times to achieve the desired results. They include harvesting, purification and transfer, and placement.
After determining the site of the fat removal, our surgeon will inject it with a local anesthetic. Then, our surgeon will create a small incision and insert a sterile cannula connected to a syringe to extract the fat carefully. The process of removing fat is known as liposuction.
Purification and Transfer
Once our surgeon has obtained enough fat from the donor area, he or she will process the fat cells to prepare them for transfer to small syringes to be used for fat injection. Purification may use a centrifuge to spin the fat or a filtration process to remove impurities.
Next, our surgeon will prepare the area designated to receive the graft. Your surgeon will insert a needle or cannula into the incision point of the site to be augmented. The augmentation process repeats several times until a grid of grafted fat has been created by carefully depositing lines of fatty tissue parcels in natural tissue planes.
Am I A Good Candidate?
Good candidates for fat injection share common traits:
- Have unevenly distributed fat due to genetics
- Have loss of volume in specific areas of the body including the face and hands due to age
- Have realistic expectations about what this procedure can and cannot do for you
- Have adequate fat deposits to graft
- Are non-smokers
How Can I Prepare For This Procedure?
During your initial consultation, our surgeon will give you several checklists of things to prepare for before and after the surgery. Let’s go over a few of these.
Before the Procedure
- Quit smoking for at least six weeks
- Stop eating and drinking at midnight the day before your procedure.
- Have everything you need after your procedure ready to go – healthy, simple meals, compression garments, stool softeners and whatever else our doctor recommends.
- Prepare for someone to drive you home after your procedure. You may also want someone to stay with you for the first two or three days post-op to help you out around the house.
After the Procedure
- Do not smoke for two to six weeks after your procedure.
- Take it easy for a few weeks.
- Enjoy your new body.
Schedule Your Initial Consultation Today
If you want an all-natural way to remove fat from unwanted areas and accentuate areas in which you think you are lacking, reach out to the experts at Kaniff Cosmetic Medical Center in Sacramento today to schedule an initial consultation. Our friendly, experienced staff will inform you of everything you need to know about what the fat transfer procedure can do for you and if you are a good candidate.