Considering facial plastic surgery? A patient choosing a surgeon for plastic surgery must take responsibility for asking questions and choosing the right surgeon.
A surgeon certified by the American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (ABFPRS) means that
- You have found a “Board Certified facial plastic surgeon
- Your surgeon has met the rigorous standards of the ABFPRS
- ABFPRS certifications signifies that your surgeon
- Has completed an approved residency after medical school
- Is double boarded, having earned prior certification through the American Board of Medical Specialties
- Has successfully completed a two-day examination
- Has submitted for peer-review an acceptable record of at least two years’ clinical experience, including operative reports of a minimum 100 facial plastic surgeries
- holds proper licensure and subscribes to the ABFPRS Code of Ethics
To verify your surgeons ABFPRS certification contact the board at www.abfprs.org or 703.549.3223
Other helpful hints in addition to board certification include
- Ask to see before and after photos
- Ask to speak with patients who have had the procedure performed
- Be sure the surgeon you choose is one you can relate to and who answers your questions
- Be sure your surgeon is experienced in the procedure you want and regularly performs that procedure.
While no medical or surgical certification board, including ABFPRS, guarantess competency or results, it is your face. Remember, trust your face to a Facial Plastic Surgeon.